A Focus on Development of the Whole Child
At St. Giles, we believe that lifelong learning begins in the earliest of years. That’s why we continually challenge ourselves to be leaders in the area of Early Childhood Education and ensure our students and their families are provided every opportunity for educational success. Our recently refurbished and enhanced Early Childhood Education Center is a testament to our commitment to the youngest members of our school community.
St. Giles Preschool Program Goals
- To help children experience school as a safe, loving place
- To provide caring teachers who are present to guide students
- To further develop a natural love of learning in each student
- To support the social development of children as they learn to be part of a community
- To create an awareness that a loving God is present in the classroom
Our curriculum provides the building blocks to help children transition from a world of play to a world of learning and community. It successfully prepares them for their future life as a student both in and outside of the classroom. The curriculum is focused on the following areas:
- Phonemic awareness: introduce an enriching vocabulary and share books that initiate discussion
- Pre-reading skills: build visual discrimination, visual perception, sequencing, prediction & story-telling
- Fine & gross motor skills: teach appropriate use of crayons & scissors, learn to work with manipulative materials (puzzles, clay & paint), move from parallel to interactive play, develop sense of color & one-on-one awareness
- Music: learn appreciation through the Musikgarten program, singing and listening, participation in rhythm band. Preschool teachers are certified Musikgarten instructors.
- Math and Science: observe the seasons & nature, graphing, one-on-one counting
- Social growth: enhance curriculum goals to provide social growth and the ability to listen and follow directions
- Seeds magazine is used to focus on weekly themes from the Sunday Gospels.
St. Giles Kindergarten Program
The St. Giles Kindergarten Program provides a strong foundation that helps children become life-long learners. It serves as a transition from preschool to primary grades. Our kindergarten program has three primary goals:
- Develops a child’s confidence in his or her ability to learn through activities and play
- Focuses on helping a child acquire the appropriate social skills
- Increases the awareness of God’s love through Bible stories, prayer, and liturgy
Our curriculum is focused on three key areas and our curriculum goals are designed to develop the whole child in an activity-based, child-centered atmosphere.
- PEarly Reading: Our environment is interactive, encouraging communications and reading for the development of listening/speaking skills and writing/reading skills/phonemic awareness
- Language Arts: Children gain valuable skills for future success including reading high-frequency words, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, comprehension and written/oral expression
- Math: Daily routine fosters skills with sorting/classifying & counting patterns, graphing, numerals, calendars & clocks, measurement, addition & subtraction concepts, geometry & fractions
- Social Studies and Science: Themes are integrated with the Reading series.
- Religion: Religion infuses St.Giles school climate through annual themes, weekly Mass, behavior expectations, and lessons from the Religion curriculum.
- Computers: Computer activities are integrated with various curriculum units.
St. Giles understands the varied needs of our families and students at the early childhood education stage of student life. Therefore, we have developed a flexible program to help accommodate these needs. Below is a summary of the programming offering for this school year.
Three-year-old program: 8:10 am – 11:10 am
- 2 Day Tuesday/Thursday
- 3 Day Monday/Wednesday/Friday
- 5 Day Monday – Friday
- 4 day Tuesday – Friday
- 5 day Monday – Friday
Full-day Program: Daily from 8:10 am – 3:10 pm
Half-day Program: Daily from 8:10 am – 11:10 am
Preschool Extended Day Programming Option
The preschool full day programming option meets the needs of parents whose children are enrolled in a half-day preschool program but desire full day of participation. This program is a structured program which provides the children time for lunch and rest as well as many learning activities that support literacy skills and social development. Collaboration between the Full Day Programming teacher and the Preschool teacher ensure that skills are reinforced in both programs.
The Preschool Full Day Programming Option provides the following hours of service:
- Accommodation for 3 and 4-year old morning preschool students from 11:10 am – 3:10 pm
- Kids Klub Before school care: 7:00 am – 8:10 am
- Kids Klub After school care: 3:10 pm – 6:00 pm