7th Grade Parents & Students,
On Monday, September 26th, the seventh graders will be going on a field trip to Irons Oaks Environmental Learning Center. Irons Oaks, located in Olympia Fields, on 34 acres of forests and meadows, is an outdoor education center that operates year-long with full-time qualified staff. This staff includes personnel with degrees in recreation and trained instructors. The seventh grade will be divided into small groups led by a qualified instructor.
Irons Oaks offers various activities. St. Giles will be participating in the Teams Course, which is their introductory course. We will not be using the climbing towers or ropes courses meant for more advanced groups. The focus of the Teams Course is on various games and challenges that require group cooperation to achieve.
The purpose of the Teams Course is to:
- Increase a sense of personal confidence & self-esteem
- Build mutual trust and support within a group
- Encourage effective communication within a group
- Refine teamwork skills which carry over into daily life
In preparation for our trip, the teachers will be playing some cooperative games with the students in order to prepare them for some of the challenges they will meet.
Departure Time: 8:00 A.M.
Expected Return Time: 4:30 P.M.
Things to remember & bring:
- Waiver & Permission Slip due Tuesday, September 20th.
- You may want to wear insect repellent.
- Dress accordingly; we are outside, rain or shine!
- Wear closed-toed shoes (NO sandals).
- Bring bag lunch and drink (ALL disposable containers)
- On Monday, September 26th, you MUST be at school by 7:45 A.M.