Links & Resources
Click on the following audio files to practice singing your songs.
About the Teacher
I’d like to say a warm “hello” to the students and parents of St. Giles School! I am excited to start the school year as your new music teacher. Although it’s only the very beginning, it’s been great getting to know the students of St. Giles! Coming up later in this writing, you will find information about my teaching background
Grades K through 6th
Overall, your child’s elementary music classroom experiences will be influenced by a mixture and a balance of the music education methodologies noted later in this writing (as found under “certifications”). In that respect, the learning via your students’ joyful music-making and discovery will be experiential by nature.
- “Elemental music is never just music. It is bound up with movement, dance and speech, and so it is a form of music in which one must participate, in which one is involved not as a listener but as a co-performer.” – Carl Orff
As above, Middle School at the 6th grade level will be involved in similar music making activities and as appropriate to their grade-level.
Grades 7th and 8th
The 7th and 8th Grade in-class musical endeavors will involve small group and whole class projects or creations. These will incorporate choral chanting, some singing, use of percussion instruments, and writing. Also in the mix will be bits of drama improvisation; non-traditional, basic composing; (One must not read music to do this) and sometimes illustration — whether auditory or visual. We will sometimes use YouTube music, authentic samples, as springboards for inspiration. These endeavors will culminate in brief in-class performances and presentations.
- “Every course in music, including performance courses, should provide instruction in creating, performing, listening to, and analyzing music, in addition to focusing on its specific subject matter.”
For 6th, 7th and 8th grade, a rubric of classroom expectations is provided during class time and is reviewed and stored in each student’s folder for reference. We will discuss how portions or all of the rubric directly apply to the objective of successfully participating in and completing classroom projects, performances, and presentations. The rubric also applies to larger performances such as the Christmas concert and the musical. On that topic, the 8th Grade Musical this year is “Shrek”! … … I look forward to witnessing, with appreciative wonder, the processes and the products of the students of St. Giles. These will be a result of the students’ varied talents and creativity, not to mention the development of their important, daily skills such as listening, collaborating, co-operating, patience and perseverance.
Ms. Kathleen G. Logan
Elementary Music Specialist, Kindergarten through Grade 8
- Master of Music in Music Education, Northwestern University
- Awarded the Eckstein Grant for Music Education, Bienen School of Music, NU
- Illinois Professional Educator’s License
- 10+ Years in the Music Classroom for the Elementary and Middle School Levels
- Orff-Schulwerk for the Music Classroom, De Paul University
- Kodaly Method for the Music Classroom, De Paul University
- Kindermusik, Kindermusik International
- Comprehensive Musicianship, Multi-Levels and Music for Moppets, The International Music Pedagogy Institute at Teacher’s College, Columbia University, NY, NY. Dr. Robert Pace, Director
- A Middle School Choir invited to sing with St. Viator’s High School Choirs, for their Combined Fine Arts Night, St. Viator’s High School, Arlington Heights, IL
- Chairperson for the first Fine Arts Night for Our Lady of the Wayside School, Arlington Heights, IL
- Appointed Community Liaison for the launch of the Community Music School of Northeastern Illinois University
- Senior Music Faculty for the Community Music School of Northeastern Illinois University
I can be contacted at email@example.com
Important Music Dates 2017
St. Giles School 8th Grade Choir:
- August 28th, Monday, during recess, Choir Rehearsal, Church
- September 5, Tuesday, during recess, Choir Rehearsal, Church
- September 6, Wednesday, 8:00 a.m., Choir Rehearsal prior to Mass
- And then sing for the Sept 6th All-School Mass
- Choir rehearsal will continue on Mondays during 8th Grade recess and the Choir will be notified of further dates.
*There will be exceptions in the rehearsal schedule due to Monday holidays; notice will be provided to the choir members.
8th Grade Musical:
- 8th grade begins its study of the Musical, “Shrek”, this week, during classes on August 30th and 31st.
A calendar of important dates will be provided and will be posted.
December 19th, 2017, Tuesday.